A taste of the Mediterranean, easy and satisfying!
- 1 Large Onion
- 1 clove Garlic
- 2 Large Aubergine
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 tin Chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Tomato purée
- 1 Chilli (if desired)
- 100g Parmesan (cheddar cheese goes well)
- 1 tablespoon White wine vinegar
- Seasoned to desire Dried oregano, basil, paprika, salt, pepper
- Pinch of Sugar
- Dice onion finely, sweat in olive oil for 3 minutes
- Add diced garlic and chilli to onion, cook for another 3 minutes
- Add purée, followed by white wine vinegar, herbs, seasoning, sugar, cook for 5 minutes
- Add chopped tomatoes, allow to simmer for 8 minutes. Add cheese. Put aside off heat
- Put oven on 200 degrees
- Slice aubergine into thin whole vertical strips. Season and dry fry on a gridled pan until they appear cooked and shrink in size.
- Layer aubergine into baking dish, adding tomato sauce at each layer. Top with cheese. Bake in oven until brown.
- Serve with garlic bread and salad. Garnish with basil leaves and perhaps a fried egg. Enjoy