A favourite classic perfect for after any autumn or winter meal.
- 300g Sieved plain flour with a pinch of salt for topping
- 175g Unrefined brown sugar for topping
- 200g Unsalted butter, cubed at room temp for topping
- Knob of butter for greasing
- 2 large apples, peeled and cut into 1cm pieces
- 50g Unrefined brown sugar for filling
- 1 tbsp Plain flour for filling
- 1 pinch of ground cinnamon for filling
- Preheat oven to 180c/350F/Gas 4
- Place flour and sugar in a large bowl and mix well. Taking a few cubes of butter at a time rub into the flour mixture. Keep rubbing until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Place the fruit in a large bowl and sprinkle over the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Stir well being careful not to break up the fruit.
- Butter a 24cm/9in overproof dish. Spoon the fruit mixture into the bottom, then sprinkle the crumble mixture on top.
- Bake in the oven for 40-50 minutes until the crumble is browned and the fruit mixture is bubbling. Serve with thick cream or custard.
- You can put the leftovers in tupperware containers and freeze them for later